Tuesday, September 1, 2009

So I married an Axe Murdering Princess?

Uh, sure, yeah, lets run with that.

Truth to be told, I got a bit sad looking at my recent glorified sketch of Carlie, then whilst looking back at the old Carlie sketch, I came across the sketch of Princess Monica from the same time. I then decided that I needed to update our lovely princess of Lohanne with and grace her with an additional sketch to match our favourite half-elf cleric.

To re-explain, Monica is from Romancing SaGa 3, another one of those fine SNES RPGs and perhaps a distant relative of stuff like Oblivion, because it has a fairly free form approach. Do whatever quests you want, when you want them, or you can just go beating the snot out of things and exploring towns. There is a considerably more limited pool of these kind of quests, but even so, it stands the test of time. Whats more, your main character can be highly customised upon the game’s start. And theres a fine system of formations, the ability to have a party of 6, (5+1, actually, as your main character can either be part of the fighting team or stand aside and shout orders, which changes the battle system) and the ability to learn new attacks by mastering old ones in a vein similar to Tales of Symphonia.

Monica, by default, is set up to be Rapier wielding Scholar type princess character. And, if you recruit her as an extra, (or she’s forced upon you, if Julian is your main character) shes not that amazing, as Fat Robin is probably a better Rapier user. Though her Charisma is the highest by default, making her a good Moon Magic user, I guess.

Of course, by making her as a main, I customised her to be a high strength axe-weilding maniac. Something which, given the right stat layout, actually makes her a very brutal melee-fighter and pretty useful (as Black, the only other decent axe user, has to tag along in a terrible inferior form called Hermann for a while before getting an upgrade).

Hence, this sketch is based upon that version of Princess Monica. Check it out:

As always, click the above to see it full size.

She’s meant to be in a ‘about to swing’ type pose, which I think turned out fairly well. Her outfit has changed marginally since the last iteration (you can see the old version near the bottom of the Unsorted Page). The main additions being the open-back fingerless gloves (I thought they looked good during the draft stage), and her bike shorts for underwear. Well the latter is not strictly an addition (I hope!) …its just you couldn’t see her undies before, lol. As usual, her outfit is jammed pack full of trim and embellishments which I enjoyed adding, and it is fitting that she, being a princess, probably would find this to be part of a generic travelling outfit.

I was a little concerned that the head of axe turned out a little small. It looks a bit less meaty compared to the old one she used to have. But then, its probably more combat practical as a result, lol.

Anyway, in other more personal news, I’m shockingly amazed that my progress on the 5th edition of my Aniventure RPG system has progressed immensely well and is approaching full test level completion. Not to mention it now clocks in at around 150 pages. Not bad for six months of work on the side. Especially considering this version, unlike the older ones, is replete with my own original illustrations. I guess I should update the shockingly outdated page on the system, which is still talking about version 4.5!

There is now an entirely new dice system completely of my own devising called the Stacks System, which is perfectly suited to a slightly eccentric anime roleplaying setting, as it allows one to make multiple hit attacks, parry with handguns, dodge with bone cracking back flips, etc. far more easily than before.

Tell ya what: Here’s the Character Sheet if you’re interested. Not that you can do alot with it, I know! But, hey think of it as a teaser.

Or something. Anyway, thats all for now, but stay tuned.

[Via http://detarame.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment