Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Singapore: Meeting with Comrades

This weekend, I was blessed with the opportunity to meet up with some Singaporean comrades, Zh3us,Yuki-To, Ederuferuto, User66b, and ScorchNRoses, who showed me around the city’s main Anime hotspots. While I’ve been to Singapore many times before this, I never knew where all the good anime stores were. I was limited to the major shopping malls, which were typically over-priced, and incredibly limited in selection. With my new friends, I got to see the more “underside” of where all the best stuff could be found.

The meeting started at Chinatown Station. From there we walked to the through the Hong Lim Plaza to the China Square flea market which happens every Sunday. After that, we had a bit of lunch, hopped onto the bus and got to Sunshine Plaza for some good stuff. From there we walked to Dhoby Ghaut, hit up Plaza Singapura, and then walked to Orchard Road, and ended the trip at the roof of Orchard Central. After splitting up, my friend and I took the MRT to City Hall, and walked to Funan Center, from there walked to Clarke Quay, and then to Liang Court’s Kinokuniya, before walking back to Clarke Quay, and boarded the MRT at Central to go back home. Phew! That’s A LOT of walking!

Here’s the flea market. It’s not really a flea market, since there are shops around. It’s more like a Sidewalk Sale, with the shops bringing out their “deal wares”. But the locals do rent tables to display their wares too.

Some of the locals are more shameless than the others. I’m quite sure these T-shirts are not meant to be worn in public.

I’ve never seen a Mega Bloks Zaku II. Pretty darn cool and well done!

Lunch at a restaurant just down the street. This is definitely local food how it’s meant to be eaten!

Not mine. It’s the first time I’ve actually seen one of these. I had no idea how small they actually are!

“I’m trapped in chopsticks!”

Parts and stuff.

Setting up for a shot.

Mmmm… Kitty Soup!

This is what was happening behind when Ederufureto was snapping a pic. Smoked cheese anywhere? Nyoro~n…

No smoked cheese, but incredibly delicious chicken rice. Nom nom nom!

Comrades Zh3us and Yuki-to, chewin their grub. I lol’d after I put on the double-Miku. ^o^

Delicious chicken with soy sauce. Chun! You miss it, amirite?!

Garfield themed christmas decorations. Garfield??!

Crossing the street. I had a video of it, but didn’t upload it to youtube yet. Oh wells.

Chinatown Point.

Street.

We’re at Sunshine Plaza now! These guys were at AFA. You recognize the “End of the Queue” sign? Lots of anime merchandise.

Lots.

And lots. Was tempted to get the Valkyria Chronicles metal cup. But it’s VERY VERY small. :(

Good Job Gundams.

I am not even a fraction of this skill.

Amazed. I wonder if you know who’s face that is in the back…

 

On the way to the next destination. Starbucks here is like Starbucks anywhere else. EVERY patron in there has a laptop.

Would you drink from a pink dolphin? ^^;

Contains plenty of vitamins!

At the top of Plaza Singapura. Lots of anime shops on the top floor. All of them over-priced.

These Xmas decorations look more like Chinese New Year decorations. I’m sure they reuse them come CNY.

At the arcade. Some sorta touch based rhythm game. It’s really shit compared to DJ Max Technika. Don’t waste your time on this garbage (offense meant entirely in that statement. If you play this game, you don’t know what you’re missing). Obviously  I’m a huge DJ Max fan.

UFO! UFO! Good luck winning one of these!

Random pic of some santa girls during the worst possible time: eating. They’re “booth girls” for this giant LG mobile phone display, complete with giant LG Chocolate phone.

On Orchard Road. What I love about Orchard Road is the balance between concrete jungle, and canopies of trees. Absolutely a sight to behold.

Orchard Central. The advert for this place features two caucasian people racing to the top of the mall. The mall itself is just as confusing as the advert. Most of the locals all agree that this “vertical mall” is poorly designed, confusing, and offensive (the high end shops are closer to the top, while the “commoners” shops are in B level.

On the way to the top. See, if one of those caucasian racers just took this, to the top, they would have won.

A view from the top. The doors are entirely glass, so you get an excellent view to your death should the doors suddenly open.

Just a bit from the top. I was amazed at this view.

Here’s the top! You’re greeted to this breathtaking view just after emerging from the stairs.

A close-up to show you how good my crappy point-and-shoot can do.

So the Singtel building is taller than the Orchard Central building. This is where everyone’s money ends up going, I guess…

Beautiful view is beautiful.

Marco! Polo! (sorry, Uncharted 2 reference).

Well, I guess this camera is capable of SOME form of bokeh.

Behind the scenes. You may recognize this shot, no?

The pathway to the other side of the garden.

A skate park down below.

More breathtaking scenery. Singapore is definitely a highly populated city. So many buildings! The best part is it’s like a mini-Tokyo, but without the pollution!

Oh so cute! Who do you belong to? ^_^

Yes, I took a shot of these funny wirey figures too.

Oops, we’ve got a hurt Nendoroid. Not sure if the damage can be fixed.

Setting up for a pic.

I was very amazed that she was able to stand on that obtusely angled rock. Excellent job!

*click*

The equipment. I accidentally kicked the whole box over and all the parts went everywhere! I even got my bag wet too. Gomenasai!

Clark Quay. Beautiful view! It was a great day! I can’t believe how *kinda* tired I was at this point.

I sometimes hate my camera’s inability to take good pictures. Vancouver has a similar boating setup at Granville Island.

This one required some photoshopping to make it look “a little” better.

This is where you get all the western food. It’s a tourist area here. If you want to feel like you’re on vacation but still feel at home, this is the place to go.

Info.

More food. I wonder how “authentically caribbean” the food here is.

Finally, Liang Court. Kinokuniya! This one is pretty darn small. Iwase Books in Richmond (Vancouver) is bigger than this one.

Kitty Goods.

Visual Novels. Without the Visual.

LOTS of manga. LOTS.

Dolls! Chun, are you into these?

It’s actually very pretty, and a little creepy at the same time.

Walked back to Clarke Quay looking for an MRT station. Day trip about to end. You can see the sun setting.

Dunno about the food, but the decor looks very awesome. Probably have to pay through the nose though.

This is where the MRT station is, under this mall! I should have known – want to get to an MRT station? Find a shopping complex.

Beautiful…

Last pic before leaving. Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I appreciate the time you guys took to take me around the city! I’ve never walked that much at once in Singapore before, and it was truly a great experience. I’ll never forget it! ^_____^

I hope you enjoyed my ultra-long post of the day’s outing!

[Via http://radiantdreamer.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment