Thursday, December 3, 2009

Anime Opinion: Polyphonica

Finally got to put up my review of Polyphonica. =D

Title: Polyphonica

By all means this anime is average.  There’s nothing groundbreaking about it.  Ask 10 people and 7 will say they won’t go past the 3rd episode.

But for some odd reason, I enjoyed it immensely.

One reason may have been my hidden shallowness enjoying the male eye-candy (Photon, Renbart, and Yardio).  Another may be due to intriguing idea of using music for battle (and the music didn’t sound too bad either).  However, I know the main reason I liked this anime – it was because I liked making fun it XD.  Stupid I know but it makes the show all the more fun.

It’s easy to tease when you hear the music the characters are playing on their instruments but their fingers don’t match the notes.  Or how a serious discussion involves a close up of a swimsuit clad female-character’s butt crack.  And said butt crack being on the screen for over 30 seconds.  When you have only subtitles to understand what’s going on (and said subtitles positioned exactly where said butt crack is), you are inevitable forced to look at it and go WTF why? XD

The best thing though was hearing Photon sing.  No guy is allowed to sound like that.  Seriously.  It was just…wrong.  On so many levels.

It brightened my day.

Teasing aside, I liked the premise of spirits and humans working together.    I’m still a little curious how this relationship works though.  Photon and Corti obviously have a relationship that screams more than friends but I’m not sure where it’ll go.  Corti being a spirit will live on forever while Photon being human will get old and crusty.  The same can be said for Eufinley and Yardio.  No other characters are mentioned or they themselves mention an actually relationship (like kissy kissy and babies kind) between a human and spirit outside of work / friendship reasons.

I’m also curious about those characters shown at the end of the final episode.  I noticed several from the covers of the Polyphonica Light Novels (I was lamenting about how I still have a ways before I can read these).  I wonder if there’s going to be more Polyphonica in the future? (If so, I’m game)

In the end, Polyphonica is an anime to watch if you have time on your hands and aren’t too picky about what you’re seeing.  If you don’t take it seriously and just go with it, you might enjoy it.  I did.  But I have eccentric tastes.  I liked Glass Fleet for goodness sake and everyone said that sucked!

Here’s the summary on the back:

Phoron Tatara’s no ordinary musician. As one of the rare Dantists who can summon elder spirits using music called Commandia, his gift is so strong that his spirit partner is none other than the infamous Corticarte Apa Lagranges. Sure, she may look like a young girl in her human form, but you don’t get nicknames like “The Crimson Annihilator” and “The Bloody Duchess” for sitting back and watching the daisies grow.

Now, at the behest of the Tsuge Divine Music Player Office, this dynamic duet travels the continent of Polyphonica on Phoron’s combination motorcycle/organ, following the song of the open road, orchestrating rescues and generally fixing whatever’s baroque! Some musicians wait for a muse to hit them, but Phoron makes his work for scale!

[Via http://sylphalchemist.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment