Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Shingetsutan Tsukihime

Hey! This is my first real review. The anime is kind of old, but I just recently watched it and i had to give my 2 cents.

What Is It?

For those who don’t know, it’s a J.C.Staff production of a well known Type-Moon Visual Novel. I am not quite sure which path it follows as i have not played the visual novel, but it manages to squeeze everything into a short 12 episodes.

Who should be reading this?

This may/may not contain spoilers. The reason for this indecisiveness is because I may get carried away in emotion and finish reviewing it all. I’ll try to keep spoilers to a minimum, but I’m just warning people that there will be the chance of slight spoilers. I will not talk about the ending in detail, if thats what some people are worried about. So, for those reading this to decide on whether or not to watch the anime, proceed at your own risk.

First Impressions.

Okay. I wanted to watch this for quite a while. But I’d get started, then stop, as I’d get bored of it from the first episode. Now don’t get me wrong, this is a fantastic anime. It’s just that, in my opinion, the opening few scenes were a bit wierd and didn’t really explain anything clearly. It just jumped into the action so to speak, and if it was trying to explain anything, it was a little abstract in its execution.

The Plot.

Okay i was being lazy and I lifted this off wikipedia xD

—- As Seen on Wikipedia.org —-

Tsukihime’s follows the perspective of Shiki Tohno who suffered a life-threatening injury when he was young. When he regained consciousness, Shiki was able to see “death lines”[n 1] though his Mystic Eyes of Death Perception (直死の魔眼 Chokushi no Magan?) which causes him immense headaches as his mind cannot cope with the sight of death. Soon after he is given a pair of glasses that blocks the sight of these lines. The game then advances to Shiki’s second year of high school. After his injury, he was banished to a branch family of the Tohno household. After eight years he is called back home by his younger sister, Akiha Tohno, when she assumed the responsibility as the family’s head. After moving back Shiki has trouble adjusting to the old-fashion lifestyle his sister lives by.

As the story progresses the plot diverges depending upon the choices the character makes. Shiki must use his powers to confront supernatural beings such as vampires (known as True Ancestors (真祖 Shinso?) and Dead Apostles (死徒 Shito?)).

Storyline

The storyline in my opinion was unique. I commend the writer Kinoko Nasu for the work put into the story. It is deep and compelling, with the “seinen” (adult, or older audience) genre showing through. This story requires a lot of thinking, and i do not recommend it to those wanting a light “passing the time” story. To be honest, the story felt very rushed, with barely any real character development whatsoever. But you have to realize that this was a visual novel. So in real fact, what I have just watched, the full Arcueid ending, would have been hours and hours of gameplay. As with all Visual Novel adaptations of anime, you have to realize that the storylines of other characters are essential to understanding the true nature of the whole story. Personally, if I was the planner for J.C.Staff, I would have made this a 26 episode anime, and fleshed out some of the characters, instead of flat out adapting the original visual novel route.

All in all,  i give the storyline 4/5.

1 point being lost due to shallow character development.

Visual Presentation

This will be the shortest section of the review. In my opinion, it was awesome. didn’t look bad. I reckon the type of clothes worn by Arcueid was a bit archaic (turtles necks FTL) but this was a 2000 visual novel, and she was 800 years old. It did get a bit jerky in some moments, but you could relate that to all action anime’s, since they are made traditionally at 20 fps, or something like that instead of the usual smooth 60/50fps.

4/5

Sound/Voice Acting

Okay. The voice acting was wonderful. Didn’t sound fake. The only gripe I had with the voice acting, was that ONE character, sounded sarcastic the whole way through, and didnt show and real emotion. I wont say who, but it will become apparent.

3/5

Ending

Yes. The ending is very touching and sad. It left a hole in my chest that I will never be able to fill again, as with Fate Stay Night and Elfen Lied. But yea, it was sad, great ending that left you thinking.

5/5

Overall

This was a great anime, even with all its flaws. the short story is a bit disappointing though, as I reckon, this could have been much longer than it actually was.

Final Rating: 16/20

[Via http://wtfreviews.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment