Sunday, March 21, 2010

Working in Anime: Does Fangirling Pay Off?

I recently applied for a job at an anime company, for which I’d gladly give up my right nip to get. It’s not that I don’t like my current job. I’m pretty settled, but as time goes on, I find myself longing for something different. After six years, it’s to be expected, I suppose, because like passion in a relationship, passion for a job fades over time. You may start out loving it, but if you don’t shake things up every once in a while, you’ll end up hating everything about it sooner or later. We’re fickle creatures so it’s not the job’s fault. It is what it is…until it isn’t. *sigh*

Here’s the rub: does doing something related to your hobby make work better or does it just turn your hobby into work? I know people who say, “if you really love what you do, you’d do it for free.” I work in a field that I love and the money comes up so short that I almost feel like I’m doing it for free. I’ve reached a point in my life where I need to start thinking about planning for retirement and not about how much fun it would be to work for an anime company. The words “fun” and “high-paying job” do not compute. I guess it’s time to get one of those soul-sucking corporate gigs that pay the big bucks. If it means that I’ll get to retire without having to be a Walmart greeter when I reach my 60s, so be it.

[Via http://fangirlsdelight.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment